Have you “gone green” yet? There are many steps you can take to give back to the environment so we can all continue to enjoy our beautiful planet! Doing something positive for the environment is not as hard as it may seem. Here are a few simple ways you can show our planet your love — and save money and calories too!
- Carry your own bags. Invest in solid canvas bags you can take with you on your weekly shopping trip so you don’t have to use paper or plastic. Some stores even offer a discount if you bring your own bags.
- Bring your own bottle. Instead of shelling out a buck or more for a bottle of water at the gym, fill up an aluminum water bottle at the fountain. Keep a mug or glass on your desk at work to refill at the cooler.
- Pack your lunch. Cut down on restaurant take-out packaging by bringing last night’s leftovers for lunch in a washable container. You’ll save on calories, fat, and sodium, too!
- Ride your bike — or walk! Save on gas and reduce emissions by biking or walking to work or to run errands. Public transportation is an environmentally friendly option as well. If you must drive, at least combine your errands so you can do them all in one trip. You’ll save time too!
- Wear a sweater. Turn the heat a few degrees lower in the winter — and a few degrees higher in the summer — to save energy. Stay warm — or cool — by dressing for the season.
- Sort your garbage. Set aside paper, magazines, aluminum cans, and plastic and glass bottles for recycling. Contact your sanitation department to find out about pickup options or where to drop the recycling off. In many states, you can recycle bottles and cans at local supermarkets — and get back a deposit for each one!
- Make your own gifts. For birthdays, holidays, and other occasions, create unique gifts at home instead of buying something (typically with disposable packaging) at the store. Bake or cook a special treat, give a nice piece of clothing or jewelry that you haven’t worn in a long time, or write a poem on a homemade card — it’s really the thought that counts!
Make it an Earth-friendly week! Try one of these suggestions on two days in the week ahead — or come up with more ideas of your own to protect the environment. The possibilities are endless!